There is more than one way to enjoy the health benefits of CBD oil. While CBD CBD oil tinctures seem to be the most popular way to consume cannabidiol (CBD), CBD edibles are quickly becoming the favorite. It makes sense–they’re easier to transport than a glass bottle of liquid and very easy to dose. At CannaHealth, we’re big fans of CBD infused gummies. We’ve put in the time to find the best CBD gummies of 2019, so you don’t have to worry about grabbing a low-quality product.
What is CBD?
If you’re new to CBD, let’s go over some of the basics of the compound, and why it’s continuing to grow in popularity. CBD, more formally known as cannabidiol, is a cannabinoid found in cannabis and hemp plants. When your body is introduced to the natural compounds found in cannabinoids, it activates your endocannabinoid system (ECS). The endocannabinoid system can affect things like pain, mood, sleep patterns, stress levels, appetite and more. That’s why using CBD can have profound effects when used to target these symptoms.
The Rise in Popularity of CBD
CBD products have made significant gains in popularity over the past four years, ever since the Agricultural Act of 2014 allowing the growth of industrial hemp—and the recent 2018 update. CBD oil is gaining serious traction in the world of medicine–both alternative and traditional, as it’s reported to help with sleep disorders, PTSD, migraines, neck pain, anxiety, and even epilepsy. Because it contains 0–.3% THC (the psychoactive cannabinoid in marijuana), CBD appeals to a wide range of people, including those don’t want to use medical marijuana due to the head high they would experience. You can many different forms of CBD and hemp oil from CBD creams to suppositories, but it’s the infused-gummy bears (and similar shapes) that are gaining the most traction.
What are CBD Gummies?
Edibles, like gummies, are nothing more than regular gummy candy with a measured amount of CBD oil. Depending on the gummy, they also contain ingredients like sugar and other flavorings. CBD-infused edibles are different from tinctures in their method of delivery. While tinctures are absorbed into the body sublingually (meaning, under the tongue), CBD infused gummie bears, and other CBD candy and edibles are digested and reach the bloodstream after being processed by the liver. The time from consumption to when you feel the effects takes longer–about one to two hours, but the effect can feel stronger than a sublingual dose. Once in the bloodstream, CBD molecules bind to cannabinoid receptors as part of the endocannabinoid system.
Taking a CBD gummy is can also more easily deliver high doses of CBD rich hemp oil to the body than the same dose taken sublingually.
Do CBD Gummies Get You High?
Generally, CBD gummies are not psychoactive and don’t contain any traces of THC which means that they won’t create an altered-mind state. So you won’t feel high from taking them.
While companies vary on how they extract their hemp oil, the end product contains zero THC and will not result in a psychological high. So while cannabis gummies will get you high, CBD gummies won’t affect your mental state other than helping you relax a little bit more. If you are extra concerned about consuming THC, check that the gummies you choose contain pure CBD isolate, which means they are 99% pure and contain no THC at all. Some brands pride themselves in having 100% THC-free products.
How Do CBD Gummies Compare to Other CBD Products?
Who doesn’t love candy? That’s probably the question companies were asking when they first decided to pair CBD and candy together in one harmonious marriage. With the rise of CBD, it’s only natural for edibles to follow suit. Not everyone is a fan of the grassy flavor of raw hemp oil, so gummies and edibles are a perfect way to dull down that flavor. While the delicious variety of flavors that gummies come in make them a no-brainer for some, for people with specific dietary restrictions or allergies they might not be the best choice.
The Benefits of CBD Gummies
CBD gummies and other edibles are especially helpful for people who want to have more precise control over their dosage. Each pack or bottle notes the exact amount of CBD in milligrams in each gummy or treat of your choosing, allowing the user to tailor the amount depending on the desired effect. Because they are consumed orally, CBD gummies can also produce longer lasting effects than other consumption methods like oils, CBD topicals, or vaporizers.
Even though CBD has only just found mainstream popularity in the last few years, there has been quite a bit of research done on its benefits and potential uses.
CBD and Anxiety
Among the most common uses of CBD gummies is helping people better manage their anxiety. While some of the properties of THC can increase anxiety among users, CBD helps to relax the mind and body by balancing out the endocannabinoid system. Some of the benefits of using CBD gummies for anxiety include reducing panic attacks associated with clinical anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder as well as reducing symptoms of seasonal affective disorder.
CBD and Pain
It can be tough to find the right solution to get rid of chronic pain without dealing with nasty side effects associated with prescription painkillers. CBD has been proven to reduce inflammation and treat some of the painful symptoms of joint pain, arthritis, and muscle spasms. It’s even being used to reduce complications associated with Crohn’s disease.
CBD and Sleep
CBD can be a great solution to insomnia or restless nights. It’s a common misconception that THC makes users sleepy and lethargic. While that’s true, the THC in cannabis products actually blocks you from reaching deep REM sleep. The REM cycle helps restore your body and is what makes you feel rested the next day. Popping a CBD gummy before bed will calm your nervous system and help you reach a deeper state of REM sleep.
The Side-Effects of CBD Gummies
The side effects of CBD gummies specifically haven’t been researched long enough to reach any solid findings. However, there has been a lot of research done on the effects of CBD use in general.
The consumption of CBD has very few notable side effects, but some people may experience changes (not necessarily negative changes) in appetite or mood. For people prone to gastrointestinal issues, certain ingredients in CBD gummies could cause stomach irritations like indigestion or diarrhea. Always make sure to check the ingredients of the gummies you choose to see what else they contain and if you’re still concerned or have questions, consult a doctor.
Also remember that most gummies will contain some form of sweetener, whether it’s artificial or all-natural. So if you have a sensitivity to sugar or are diabetic, pay closer attention to the nutritional value of the gummies you choose. Luckily, you can also find quite a few brands offering sugar-free, vegan and gluten-free CBD gummies.
How to Choose a CBD Gummy
There are a few factors to consider as you’re shopping for your gummies of choice such as dietary restrictions, potency, flavors, and your desired outcome
Are you vegan? Certain types of gelatin used to make gummy candy can contain animal products. Luckily, there are CBD gummy brands that sell 100% vegan gummies, so you never have to compromise. Hypoglycemic? You’ll want to find a sugar-free option, which also shouldn’t be a problem because as the industry grows, more and more sugar-free options are becoming available.
Before deciding on a brand, look into what varieties they offer in terms of potency and the amount of CBD per gummy. If you know your desired dosage, then you can save money long term when you buy CBD gummies with a higher potency, rather than having to eat more than one or two to reap the benefits. For higher dosage gummies, look for ones that contain pure CBD Isolate because they will be free of any THC and you’ll know you’re getting the maximum about of pure CBD per dose.
These days, choosing a CBD gummy can make you feel like a kid in a candy store. There are dozens of flavors and more being added into the mix every day. If you have a specific flavor that you love, odds are that there is at least one CBD company making a gummy in that flavor. On the flip side, if you don’t want any added sugar or flavoring, then you might choose to skip the gummies all together and go for an unflavored CBD oil or tincture instead.
While most CBD gummies are going to have similar chemical compounds, you can still find products that cater to the specific problem you’re trying to solve. These often contain mixtures of CBD and other ingredients that are aimed at alleviating particular symptoms. For example, if you’re using CBD to help you sleep, you might want gummies that include a mix of CBD and melatonin. If you’re using CBD to help with anxiety, then you can choose a gummy that incorporates a blend of other calming ingredients. For combating severe pain, then choosing a gummy with a higher dosage will target your endocannabinoid system quicker, for faster pain relief.
We want to make it as easy as possible for you to get acquainted with our favorite gummy recommendations.
The Best CBD Gummies On the Market in 2019:
- NotPot Vegan CBD Gummies 10mg in 30ct Bottle
- HempBombs, 15mg Gummies in 30ct Bottle
- Green Roads World, 10mg “Relax Bears” in 30ct Bottle
- CitizenCBD, 10mg Gummies in 30ct Bottle
Our List of Best CBD Gummies Last Updated: May 8th, 2019
Disclaimer: CannaHealth was not paid to include any of these companies on our list. We may, however, receive a small commission from some of these brands if you click through and make a purchase (at no additional charge to you). I will assure you that these products are the best you can buy, and we 100% stand behind them.
Comfort Leaf CBD Gummy Bears – 10mg Each
- Lime, Cherry, Lemon, Piña Colada, Orange
- Strength/Variety: 10mg CBD per gummy bear
- Ingredients:300mg CBD Crystalline Cannabidiol (CBD) Isolate, Citric Acid, Corn Syrup (From Corn), FD&C Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Fumaric Acid, Gelatin, Latic Acid, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Pectin, Sorbitol, Sugar, Water
- Transparency:All of their CBD is laboratory tested with complete testing information found publicly on their website
- Customer Service/Shipping:Comfort Leaf offer USPS Priority Mail, Priority Mail Express (3-day) and First Class Mail (5-day) as well as 30-day money back guarantee. Shipping costs vary based on your location.
- Why we Love Them:In addition to coming in five juicy varieties, all of Comfort Leaf’s CBD products are THC-free making them accessible to residents of all 50 states. We love that they promote complete transparency on their website by providing lab testing information up front. Plus, all of their products are sourced from non-GMO hemp grown in the USA, so you know you’re always supporting local farmers.
NotPot Vegan CBD Gummies – 10mg Each
- Flavors Available: strawberry
- Price: one time purchase $39.99, subscribe and save 10%
- Strength/Variety: 10mg clinical strength, only comes in polar bears
- Ingredients: organic tapioca syrup, organic cane syrup, sugar, water, pectin, natural & artificial flavors, malic acid, sodium citrate, titanium dioxide, citric acid, organic sunflower oil, organic carnauba wax
- Transparency: do not mention or provide lab results
- Customer Service/Shipping: flat rate only, $4.20
- Why we Love Them: They use vegan and mostly organic ingredients, offer a unique subscription discount, and have super hip packaging/marketing. They also support The Bail Project, a non-profit organization designed to combat mass incarceration. Of all the CBD gummies we’ve tried so far, we think these taste the best, and kicked in quickly. We started feeling–as their site says, chill AF pretty quickly.
HempLucid Edible Gummies
- Flavors Available: Assorted fruit flavors
- Price: $19.95–$109.95
- Strength/Variety: 25mg of CBD per gummy, available in a 5-pack or 30 count bottle
- Ingredients: Organic evaporated cane juice, organic corn syrup, organic white grape juice concentrate, pectin sodium citrate, citric acid, ascorbic acid, Whole-Plant™ CBD, natural flavors, colors added (including anatto, tumeric, grape juice concentrate, red fruit juice concentrate).
- Transparency: 3rd party (Pro Verde) test results available on the gummies page.
- Customer Service/Shipping: Free shipping or $5 Flate Rate shipping available (depending).
- Why we Love Them: 25mg per gummy is no joke! If you need a big dose of CBD, picking up a pack of HempLucid’s CBD edible gummies–though more expensive than other options–will actually be a better deal, in that you’d have to eat 2.5 gummies of most of the other brands to match one HempLucid gummy. It’s not for everyone, but for those seeking a potent CBD edible, you should definitely pick a pack up from HempLucid.
Hemp Bombs, 30 Count CBD Gummies
- Flavors Available: Assorted fruit flavors
- Price: $14.99–$99.99
- Strength/Variety: 15mg (regular) and 25mg (high potency) per gummy
- Ingredients: Certified Pure Cannabidiol (CBD), L-Theanine, Scutellaria, Passiflora, Sugar, Corn Syrup, Gelatin, Citric Acid, Calcium Lactate, Silicon Dioxide, Natural & Artificial Flavors
- Transparency: Independent lab tested, 0% THC
- Customer Service/Shipping: They offer international (except UK), standard, and expedited shipping. $ not listed
- Why we Love Them: A 15mg dose of cannnabidiol is a pretty powerful dose for a beginner. These things work super well (and taste great). They also offer 15% off for seniors and veterans. They also offer a variety of other CBD products including capsules from 5ct to 60ct, oil (300mg-4000mg), flavored E-Liquid, Disposable vape pens, CBD pain rubs, Max Chill Relaxation Shot, relaxation syrup, lollipops, dog biscuits, beard balm, beard oil, pleasure gel, and tattoo ointment.
Green Roads World, 30 Count Relax Bears
- Flavors Available: gummy bears, fruit bites, sourz froggies, fruit and hemp strawberry fruit chews, fruit and hemp grape fruit chews
- Price: $4.99–$59.99
- Strength/Variety: 20mg–400mg
- Ingredients: Corn Syrup, Sugar (from beets), Water, Gelatin, Citric Acid, Natural and Artificial Flavors, Lactic Acid, Pectin, FD&C Red 40, Yellow 5, Yellow 6, Blue 1, 300 MG Phytocannabinoids
- Transparency: Third party tested.
- Customer Service/Shipping: US only, Flat rate: $6.95, free shipping on orders over $100
- Why we Love Them: Talk about a massive selection! Sour gummies? Fruit and hemp fruit chews? Yes please! Green Roads offers a dauntingly large selection of CBD products, which in addition to gummies include syrups, pain cream, and even coffee and tea! They have a little something for everyone. If you like what you get, they have a rewards program that gives you points for joining, purchasing, and reviewing products.
Citizen CBD Gummies
- Flavors Available: Assorted fruit flavors (green apple, lemon, mango, and watermelon)
- Price: $19.99–$49.99
- Strength/Variety: 10mg per gummy, a 10-pack or bottle of 30
- Ingredients: Not listed
- Transparency: They use independent testing which includes heavy metals, pesticide, and microbial lab testing. Results available upon request.
- Customer Service/Shipping: Not listed
- Why we Love Them: Citizen CBD uses “every product sale to benefit veterans in need.” They use CO2 extraction for their CBD, and their gummies are vegan, organic, contain zero THC, and are made with natural fruit. Citizen also sells e-liquid, pet treats, topicals, tinctures, and gel caps. Of all the gummies we tried, these are our favorite in both taste and how we felt after taking.